It seems a little odd to need to deep clean the room that is designed to clean your clothes — but we all know how quickly a laundry room can get messy and dirty. We can’t forget either that those expensive machines we use to wash our laundry also need regular cleaning and care.
Since we kind of consider ourselves laundry room experts, we’ve got some great guidelines for making the most out of your spring cleaning in the laundry room.
Before You Get Going, Get Your Gear!
As with every room of the home, you can get started until you’ve got all the tools you’ll need. The laundry room calls for some specific products.
- All Purpose Natural Cleaner
- Distilled white vinegar
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Lemon, lavender, or your favorite antifungal essential oils
- A stack of clean rags and an old hand towel
- A small scrub brush
- A box or basket for each family members and an extra for trash
- Long-handled duster
- Vacuum and vacuum brush attachments
- Mop and mop bucket
- Step stool
Spring Cleaning The Laundry Room Checklist:
When cleaning any room, it’s important to remember to work from the top down. Clutter removal, dusting, clearing away trash and debris — all of this should be done first so that you have a clear space to get to the real task at hand. Cleaning!
- Clear away clutter. You can’t get started until you get all the clutter out of the way. The nature of the laundry room tends to be a catch-all. Who knows what you’re going to pull out of your kids’ pants’ pockets or what toy somehow managed to hide away in the laundry hamper. Sort these into separate bins or baskets per person.
- Take out the trash. It’s amazing how many things never make it to the trash can; trash pulled from pockets, broken hangers, dryer lint, empty detergent containers, and more. If you don’t have a trash can in your laundry room already, now is the time to buy one.
- Dust the ceiling, light fixtures, walls, windows, and baseboard. Pay special attention to light fixtures, as these tend to get dusty from lint. Remove art from the walls and clean before setting it aside.
- Clean your washing machine. Yes, cleaning the inside and outside of your washing machine will help it to perform better and ensure that it will last for years to come.
- Clean your dryer. This is an important aspect of seasonal cleaning that helps keep your home safe. Cleaning the lint trap can prevent house fires and will ensure that your dryer performs well.
- Clean out your cupboards and storage areas. Take all items out of these areas. Spray down the interior and exterior of your cupboards and drawers with All Purpose Natural Cleaner. Wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- Clean doorknobs and light switches.
- Clean backsplash and countertops.
- Clean the sink (if you have one). Sprinkle a generous amount of Sink Scrub over your sink and scour. Rinse in hot water.
- Vacuum the floor and beneath the appliances as much as possible.
- Clean your laundry hampers. If you have a removable cloth hamper cover, throw it in the laundry. If you have laundry baskets, spray with All Purpose Natural Cleaner and wipe dry.
- Mop the floor.
- Organize your laundry room supplies. One of the best ways to organize is to add storage. Baskets and containers can be a pretty way to organize your various supplies. A sorting hamper for lights, darks, and delicates is a great way too easily sort your laundry throughout the week. Don’t forget to purchase a foldable drying rack too — it’s an absolute lifesaver when caring for sweaters, delicates, and other items that need to air dry.
- Make your laundry room more fun to be in. Add some decor. Get something up on the walls. Repaint or add some beautiful wallpaper. If you want more ideas, we’ve got plenty of them!
- Fold laundry. The home chore that never ends.
- Pour yourself a glass of something delicious and watch Netflix.
Stock Up on Essentials for Your Laundry Room
Do you have everything you need for your laundry room? We offer a full range of laundry powders, specialty detergents, and bundles of laundry room supplies.
Crazy-smelly kids clothes? We can fix that.
Time to clean up your favorite cashmere sweater? Say no more!
Drag and dull whites and colors? We have just what you need to revitalize them.
Review our full line-up of natural laundry solutions to get inspired!